Saturday, December 10, 2016

Wilson's Prom and Hamburger Hill

 Whiskey Bay Beach.
 A nesting Hooded Plover.
 Picnic Beach.
The service road up the mountain.
And the stairs to the summit.
 The view from the summit of Mt Oberon.
Picnic Bay Beach. 
 The volcanic nature of the Promatory is evident here.
 The walk back down through the changing rainforest.
 Evidence of forest fires is obvious throughout Australia.
 Hamburger Rock.
 People on the summit seen from the parking lot.
Squeaky Beach.
Saturday December 10th
I had the continental breakfast at the hotel before driving to Wilson's Prom which was about 50 kilometres away. The first place I went to was Whiskey Bay. This is a beautiful beach with great sand and surf and on the left side of the beach a jumble of huge boulders with some red algae on them. Unfortunately, the weather was not really beach weather, it was cool and the water was not inviting. I walked around for a bit and then headed further into the park. I went to Tidal River which is where people register for camp sites and overnight hikes. It is also the place to catch the shuttle bus to Telegraph Saddle, which is where the hike begins for the Mt Oberon summit. This is a three and a half kilometre hike up a steep service road. Just before the summit there are three large communication towers and then the path becomes a climb up stone steps and around large rocks to get to the actual bald rock summit. The view up there is awesome with views of Whiskey Bay, Picnic Bay and Squeaky Beach.

After I walked back down I went to Little Pilly Trail to hike to Hamburger Hill. This was another mostly uphill 3 kilometre hike. Hamburger Rock is a huge formation that although much smaller reminded me of Uluru although it wasn't red. I hiked around it and found a way to get up on top which gave another great view.
I walked back down to the car and drove the short distance to Squeaky Beach. This beach has really fine white sand that squeaks beneath your feet as you walk. I found an area here where Hooded Plovers were nesting and I managed to get a couple of shots of the birds, but couldn't see the nests.
As it was getting late, I began the drive home. When I got back to Foster I decided to have dinner in the Hotel as they had a bistro inside. It was a large old fashioned room with about thirty tables that were mostly full. I had a curry and people-watched as I ate and had a couple of pints. Then back to the hotel for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment