Monday, December 26, 2016

Merimbula

A very strange 'pine cone'.
The other end of the 90 Mile Beach.
A fisherman cleaning his catch and being watched impatiently by a pelican and some gulls.
The jetty.
Local hoppers.

Monday, December 26th
In the morning I tried to call my family to wish them a Merry Christmas but the internet kept dropping out and would not support Skype. So I sent them a short note and moved on.
I had to drive inland again to get back to the highway and then continue northeast to Mallacoota which is a nice little tourist town at the northern end of 90 Mile Beach. I hung out there for a bit and enjoy the sun and the cool water.

This whole coastline is the playground of the Melbourne communities. A lot of Australians like to go on camping holidays and there are lots of camping sites and trailer parks all along the coast. Late in the afternoon while I was driving through one of the campgrounds and around Mallacoota, I came across this mob of kangaroos. I got a great video of them hopping through town.

This is the big holiday season for Australia. It is there Christmas, New Year and summer vacation time. Therefore everything is booked up. Really I should have booked ahead but I don't like to do that as I don't know where I will wind up each day.

I could not find a place to stay here so I continued to drive north. Shortly after that I left the state of Victoria, my home for the year and entered New South Wales. I found the last room in the little town of Merimbula, in a really nice little hostel.

No comments:

Post a Comment