Saturday, December 31, 2016

Byron Bay To Caloundra

The Cape Byron Bay Lighthouse.
Tallow Beach.



Main Beach Byron Bay.
Valerie and Phil.

Saturday, December 31st
In the morning I went down to the beach for another swim in the ocean before having breakfast at a cafe by the motel. Then I drove up to the Byron Lighthouse, which sits on a little peninsula and is the most easterly location on the Australian mainland. I wandered around the lighthouse admiring the commanding views it holds of the two beaches on either side of it.

Then I continued my drive north. I had to drive a few hours to reach Coloundra. This is a small satellite city of Brisbane where as friend of mine from my year long trip lives. I met Valerie on my Galapagos tour in 2011. I arrived about 6pm and she was at a beach house for a New Year's Party but her partner Phil was there. He showed me around and into the guest room. I talked to him for a while before deciding to go to the party. 

It was close by in a beach house that Valerie and her friends have shared and rented for years before she bought her own place a couple of years back. Most of these people are involved in skydiving. Valerie has retired and now works as a travel agent but Phil and others still jump. Phil has done over 18000 jumps over a thirty year career! Everyone was pretty drunk as they had been partying all day. I didn't want to drink because I certainly didn't want to get caught driving, so I talked to a few people about the skydiving industry and then decided to retire. I left the party about 10:30 and went back to bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment