Saturday, August 20, 2016

The Diary of Anne Frank

 The award winning pie shop in Olinda with a typical pie shop menu.

 The Wonthaggi Community Centre where I saw Evita earlier and Anne this weekend.


Saturday August 20th
I wanted to go to Wonthaggi but because they were calling for rain all day and cool weather I decided to go later. So I went to the Aquanation Pool and had a swim. From there I went to the little town of Olinda. This is a small touristy town in the Dandenong Range. I went to the Pie In The Sky restaurant for lunch. Australians and Kiwis are passionate about pies. This one was recommended to me by Nigel at work. Near there was the Dandenong National Park and the 1000 steps which I had hiked once before. I decided to climb them again because the rainforest is beautiful there. It took about an hour to walk up and back down.

Then I got on the Monash Freeway and drove straight to Wonthaggi, checked into a motel and walked to the theatre to see The Diary of Anne Frank. I enjoyed the play and it seemed quite different from the version I saw in Toronto a few years back. For one thing there was an impassioned speach by Otto Frank (Anne's dad) who performs a monologue at the end outlining the fate of the all the people who were hiding, discovered and transported to the camps.


After the show I walked across the street to the Workingmen's club to have a drink and watch a live band called the Chantoosies. They played the usual mix of classic rock. Then I walked back to the motel.

No comments:

Post a Comment