Sunday, August 2, 2015

Tourist Market and Coordinator Dinner






Sunday, August 2nd.

Today was a day to relax and re-energize. We hung around the pool and swam for a bit in the morning. Then we took two cabs to the Arts Market and Culture Centre. This is a big tourist market where the hawkers are on you trying every trick to get you to come to their shop and buy something. I had bought a lot last year and decided to buy nothing. I walked about with Brenda and Diane and we went all the way through to the village out back and to the beach. Then we went back in and they shopped for some things while I walked about. One guy wanted me to give him some time, I told him I didn't have a minute, and the guy in the next shop said 'give me a second'. Back to the hotel by cab again and Pascale and I hung out in the water talking. Late in the afternoon I went back to my room to organize for tonight's party with the exec from GNAT. Thomas Musah showed up first with his wife and two children. A little later Eric showed up, followed by Thomas Baafi and his wife and their driver and finally Ernest. We had a very pleasant evening talking and everyone seemed really relaxed, happy and friendly. I had good open talks with Baafi and Ernest. I made a little speech about being the only Ghanadian at the beginning of July, but now there are eight of us. I told them how much we had enjoyed our stay, their hospitality and working with all the teachers. I also thanked them for their support and work in getting us to the three remote schools so that we could deliver our supplies. I presented them all with a gift bag full of Toronto t-shirts, Nunavat hats and other bits and pieces. Then Baafi spoke. He thanked us for our time and commitment and complimented us on our effort. I had asked him if GNAT was happy with the workshops we provided and he said that the participants were happy, the resource people were happy and so were they. After they left and everyone went to bed I hung out for a bit on the lounger and typed and soaked up the evening atmosphere. When I got back to the room I talked Obed into coming with us tomorrow to Elmina Castle (he claimed to be out of money), after all it is not only a huge part of Ghana's history but also his. Then sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment