Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Village Life In Navrongo







Tuesday, July 21st.

We left the hotel by 7:50 and arrived by 8:30. Today Obed started with his teaching professionalism course followed by Pascale and her technology course (without electricity for her PowerPoint). Diane and I had a meeting with Thomas Baafi so we could sort out a few issues, namely the problem with the distance between the hotel and the college, because we cannot leave, have dinner and come back before evening programs. So we decided that tonight Diane, Marie and I would stay for dinner at the college and the rest would head back and on Canada Night and Ghana Night we would all stay for dinner at the college, which will make for very long days. We will go to another remote school Wednesday morning and on Thursday afternoon we will leave after lunch and do some touristy stuff and we will arrive late on Friday morning. Then Ernest came in so we told him all that we had worked out. Ernest and Thomas were trying to figure out why they didn’t have this travel time problem when the last group of Canadians passed through, when they suddenly remembered that time the Canadians only worked the mornings! After that Diane and I went into town with Eric to get some gift bags that she needs for her co-tutors. On the way back we stopped at a blooming baobab tree to see the large white flowers and the nuts. When we got back I downloaded Diane's photos to my computer and backed them up for her on a stick and then I tried to use Brenda's Apple and messed up her files. We will sort out her pictures another day. I wandered around the outside kitchen area talking to the cooks and taking photos and then I found a little village behind the school where I watched two men plow a field with two oxen. I took some photos there of some school children. After lunch Vanda presented her mentoring workshop to our class and the headmasters. When the afternoon finished Diane, Marie and I went to the dining hall for dinner while the rest left for the hotel. Dinner was a good fish soup and rice. Ernest took us to a local bar with Felix the driver, and we all had a beer and a good talk. Our driver Felix brought a bag of grilled Guinea fowl which we all shared. It was hot, spicy and delicious. It was interesting to hear Ernest talk about his trips to Canada with CTF. He had a great time and became a 'double double' fan but when we went into Tim Hortons the next day he asked for a 'two two'. Good laughs. At one point I realized that my necklace was open and laying across my shoulder and my Canadian nickel pendant that I bought in Brazil was missing! We looked for it around where we were but no luck. Then we headed back to the college for 7:30 for the HIV/AIDS presentation. Marie our teacher/nurse did the presentation with the CTF PowerPoint  because there was no local expert to do it. She did a good job and it was well received. Then Thomas Musah asked me to talk about Canada Night. After that Felix drove us back to the hotel with Ernest. Quickly to bed for another early rise.

No comments:

Post a Comment