Sunday, July 7, 2013

Project Overseas 2013 Ottawa Orientation




Ottawa
Wednesday, July 3, 2013 ARRIVAL IN OTTAWA
University of Ottawa Residences

Carol drove me to the airport by 10:30 am for my 12:00 flight to Ottawa. At check-in I met Irnice, another ETFO – TDSB employee who will be with me on the team going to St Vincent. Carol knows her from the French union work she does. I had to leave my chai mug at check-in because you cannot take fluids through customs. We met our team leader, George, and several other Project Overseas participants. On the flight I sat beside and talked to a young Canadian East Indian woman who is a doctor finishing her three year residence at a New York hospital. She is 26, engaged to be married next April. She helped pass the hour long flight.

Arrived in Ottawa on time and George, Irnice and I shared a cab to the University of Ottawa Residences. After settling into our rooms, which are quite nice, semi-private and air conditioned, we met up with others and went to a local restaurant called Father and Sons, where we had lunch. Back to the residence to wait for a bus that was an hour late to take us to the CTF offices, about a twenty minute bus ride. When we arrived we had a couple of meet and greet and introduction type meetings and then a catered dinner. More orientation information and then dismissal. However, someone booked the return bus for 10:30 instead of 8:00, so a lot of us ordered cabs and set off in groups of four. Really tired, so as soon as I got back I went to bed.

Thursday, July 4th. FIRST DAY OF ORIENTATION (I walk to Parliament Buildings)

Didn't sleep really well. I watched some news about the military takeover in Egypt. Met up with everyone else at 7:30 to go back to Father and Sons for breakfast, seems no one checked to see if the university cafeteria was open for us, and it's not. Then we were bused back to CTF. We spent the day in their offices listening to a variety of sessions, ice breakers, and workshops. We had a catered lunch and then more sit and listen sessions. Too much sitting, but lots of good information, some of which is common sense but not everyone has that apparently. At the end of the day we played a game of Jeopardy designed by the CTF staff about information they had told us today. It was another example of program leaders demonstrating how not to run a workshop, as things weren't set up at first and things didn't go as planned, however it was fun and lots of funny things happened. So, a long day but very informative. I have met a lot of really nice people. There is about 40 women and 11 men. I am feeling good about my group and positive about the project, although still a bit nervous about what we have to prepare. George has participated in Project Overseas seven times! He is a tall lanky man who smokes unfortunately. This is Irnice’s second assignment. She is a delightful woman who is originally from Haiti but now lives in Toronto. So, things are going well so far.

I went for a walk in the evening to stretch my legs. It was a nice warm night so I walked down to the Parliament Buildings via the canal. Walked all the way around Parliament Hill admiring the views of the sunset and the Ottawa River. Then back to the room by 10:30 to sleep.

Friday, July 5th  SECOND DAY OF ORIENTATION – (I walk to Carleton U and run back)

Breakfast at Father and Sons again and then bused back to CTF. Another long day of sitting and listening to sessions about various aspects of the Project. The best of which was at the end of the day when all the teams got to meet and talk to a native person from the country they are assigned to. These people now live in Ottawa. Our group listened to and talked to Ben from St Vincent. He gave us some good information about the country. We all had dinner with our guest. Then we were bused back to the residence. After writing a couple of e-mails I walked to Byward Market and looked around there for a while. Then I decided to walk back along the canal and walked from Parliament Hill all the way to Carlton University where I used to stay with the safety patrollers. It took well over an hour to get there. I had no idea what time it was so I decided to run back. I got back about 11:15. I had my running shoes on and a dry fit shirt but I was wearing my shorts that I took on safari and was carrying an umbrella and another dress shirt, oh well. Then to bed get some sleep.

Saturday, July 6th. LAST DAY OF ORIENTATION

Up early again for our last morning at the CTF offices. We had a couple more sessions and then a really nice bbq lunch with salads, chicken and steak. After lunch they honoured Margaret for her years of service to CTF and Project Overseas in particular. The best line was that “she has her fingerprints all over the globe”. Lots of people spoke and it was very moving. The whole thing ended about 2:30 whereupon we were driven back to the residences again. George, Martin and I walked downtown. Irnice went with a couple of women. George went off to the book store and I hung out with Martin. Our St Vincent team met up at the Beaver-tail spot in the market in order to go off together for dinner. We ate in a really nice fish restaurant. Then back to the residence for one last sleep. To bed by 9:30 as we have to get up at 2:30!

No comments:

Post a Comment