Sunday, July 21, 2013

Catamaran Tour To Tobago Cays



Sunday, July 21st.  CATAMARAN TOUR TO TOBAGO CAYS

Another boat cruise today. Picked up and dropped off at the FantaSea Cruise’s office with Jane. After a short wait we boarded a catamaran power boat for a ride to Tobago Cays. There was another couple and ten brand new young female doctors from Britain on the boat. The first stop was Bequia to pick up a family of three. Then we sailed off. After an hour or so it started to rain and looked really gloomy. However it stopped and the sun came out well before we got to the Cays. The water here is that perfect turquoise blue colour. I snorkelled, but Irnice and George did not. The water was only about ten feet deep and very clear. Unfortunately there was too much current to get us close to the reef so we anchored in an area of sea grass where there are green turtles. Very few fish but I did see about six turtles. I hovered above the first while he fed on the bottom and waited for him to surface for air. It was great to see him come up and I broke the surface first and watched him gulp the air about five feet from me. Then he swam past me and I touched his shell. Shortly after that I saw a stingray swim under me. It was about six feet long and great to watch. Altogether I saw six turtles and three stingrays, two large and one smaller one. The water was terrific.

Then we boarded again and went to a restaurant on Union Island. I had a really nice fillet of fish. George and I walked around the small town for a bit taking photos. The place is a ghost town as it is off season. Then we sailed to Mayreau Island and the beautiful beach they call Salt Whistle Bay. Stunning, exactly like you expect a Caribbean beach to be, palm trees, beautiful sand and turquoise, warm water. I walked the beach for a bit checking out a couple of shops. George fell into the water getting off the boat and got his small camera and iPhone soaked, neither of which work now. The same with his lighter and he had to forgo smoking all the way back. I swam for a while and then it was time to head back. We arrived back at St Vincent by 5:30 and Wayne was waiting for us to take us home. Another quiet relaxing evening, George went to bed first at 8:00. Shortly after that I got a message from Mavis saying that the differentiated instructor from the ministry was unaware that she was needed on Monday and has other plans – perhaps Tuesday....





No comments:

Post a Comment