Tuesday, July 12, 2011

China Day 9, Chongqing







Tuesday July 5th

We were up, packed, had breakfast and off the train by 7:30. We had to climb about a hundred stairs with full packs to the top of the bank, in the 30+ degree heat. By the time we got to the bus we were very sweaty and tired. The bus ride to Chongqing was about three hours. When we arrived we were dropped off at a bus station area and then had to take a group of taxis to get us all to the hotel. Interesting hotel, as it is on a cliff and one side of the hotel is much lower than the other. In fact from the lobby, which is on the 9th floor, we took the elevator down to our room, 8655, which is on the 6th floor – the 8 only means good luck!

We checked in and then Allen took us for an orientation walk. The first stop was to a cable car that swings out and across the Yangtze River. We rode it across and back again. This is a huge city and there is lots of construction going on. After that we walked to the Liberty Monument which is in the middle of a high end pedestrian walking and shopping street. Then Allen left us and we had free time for the afternoon to explore. We all headed off in different directions. I walked off by myself and just wandered observing people and looking around. The weather was again very hot so I ducked into a Starbucks for a drink and to use the wi-if, but couldn't as you have to log on using a mobile number. I went to a large old temple complex called Arhat Temple, which was very interesting. It was full of beautiful statues of arhats, which are men who have achieved enlightenment and have reached nirvana. The old buildings were made from wood which is very dark in colour. Then I decided to walk back to the hotel to escape the heat and catch up on the blog which I am sending to Peter. However, I got lost several times and had to retrace my steps to figure out where I'd gone wrong. I finally asked a security guard where my hotel was, using a hotel card, because very few people here speak English. Following his pointing I wound up approaching the hotel from a different direction and discovered a local market. It was in a grotty concrete warehouse type building. I went in and was immediately the object of attention as they don't see too many Westerners here and probably none in this market. I watched as they butchered unrefrigerated meat and other things. One man offered me a cooked chicken foot, no thanks. The men carrying the dead birds were carrying them into the market. This is how they carry everything from bricks to clothing to dead chickens, on a wooden board usually draped over their shoulders. This is a very hilly city and there are lots of these men around who will carry anyone's heavy load for them, for a price of course. On the way back I stumbled across this this barber 'shop' under an overpass. They spotted me taking a photo and then waved. After that I finally found the hotel and spent time there cooling off.

About 5:00 I headed out to a grocery store as Allen had suggested we buy some food for tomorrow's breakfast. Interestingly, the hotels in China do not do included breakfast. The store was huge and sold everything, from food to household supplies. There were lots of things I did not recognize and could not read the labels. I bought some apples and bananas in the produce section and gave the live bullfrogs, turtles and fish a pass.I also bought a couple of yogurts and a box of muesli. I found a rice cookie that I had had in Toronto but could only find it in bags of dozens of little bags. As I was looking around a Chinese woman asked me for help! She was holding a box of Corn Flakes and wanted to know how to prepare it. She was trying to read the instructions, which I couldn't either as they were in French. However, I told her she didn't need to add water, just milk.

Then back to the hotel to meet up for dinner. We went to a local 'hot pot' restaurant. Here you sit at a table with bowl of hot oil and water spiced with chilies. We had two tables, hot and mild. I chose the hot one. Allen ordered our food and we cooked strips of beef, ground pork, mushrooms, potatoes, radish, and seaweed. When you pulled it out you dipped it in a mixture of sesame oil, garlic and oyster sauce. I was surprised that I didn't find it too hot, but I didn't eat the chili seeds. It was okay, but I didn't really get enough to eat. There was a table of shirtless men who were having a great time singing at the top of their lungs. Afterwards we took a local bus (for 15 cents) to a square overlooking the Yangtze where we could the see the city skyline lit up. There were people there flying kites which had flags on the lines all the way up, very beautiful. Then we took an air-conditioned bus back to the hotel (for 30 cents).

After that, Allen, Paul, Andrew and I went to a nearby bar for a couple more beer. It was owned by an American and his Chinese girlfriend. We had a good time talking to Aimee, our waitress. She had only been working there a couple of weeks and loved her job. She wanted to practise her English with us. Allen and I were the last to leave and we got back to the hotel about midnight.


1 comment:

  1. I dont know Joe---you seem to be losing your sense of adventure when it comes to matters of the stomach. Mind you , I would have bullfrogs and turtles for breakfast either. Lunch, maybe , but never breakfast

    I think you are being very kind spending all that time in the bar drinking beer just to help someone out with their english. That is the teacher coming out in you .

    ReplyDelete