Tuesday, July 19, 2011

China Day 22, Lama Temple & Summer Palace

Monday July 18th

Paul and I got up and ready by 7:30 and headed down to the lobby to met Jason, Sarah and Cassie. They decided to come with Paul and I to see the Lama Temple, as they wanted to spend the last day of my year long trip with me. When we got to the lobby it started to rain. So, we waited it out and talked to Danny who was down there too, and said our goodbyes to Rally who had come down to see us off. The rain abated a half hour later and we walked to the subway and arrived at the Lama Temple by 8:30. This is the largest Tibetan Buddhist Temple outside of Tibet. We walked around and explored the many buildings of the temple, viewing all the buddhas, including the statue of Maitreya that is about 26 metres tall and is reputed to have been made from a single trunk of sandalwood. The colour scheme and construction of the buildings are very similar to the Forbidden City, and dates from around the same time. We finished our tour faster than we anticipated, so Paul suggested that we take the subway to see the Summer Palace. This was the summer residence of the emperor and his court, and I had wanted to see it but we thought that we wouldn't have enough time. The other three decided to come along too, so off we went. It was about a half hour subway ride on two lines and then we went the wrong way on the street before getting our bearings. Again we paid our admission and walked around the grounds. This site is a huge park on a big lake with numerous buildings in the same mold as the Forbidden City, the Heaven Temple and the Lama Temple. There were thousands of Chinese tourists there and a few westerners. We walked to the lake, saw the 'Quiet and Relaxing' marble boat and watched as people used paddle boats on the lake. Then we climbed back up the hill to see the Buddha Temple of Burning Incense. It was a beautiful pagoda style building. After that we had to leave and set out for the hotel, so that I could get ready for my flight and Paul could check out and move to his new hotel for the remainder of his Beijing stay.

We took the subway back. Jason, Sarah and Cassie had decided to continue on to the Olympic site, so we said our goodbyes and Paul and I continued on to the hotel. We were supposed to check out by 14:00 – noon (that's what it said on our card), so we were worried about getting back on time. We had to take three subway lines for about 40 minutes and still had a 15 minute walk from the subway to the hotel. When we got there we were glad to see Rally in the lobby and asked her to see if there was any problem with us getting back 15 minutes late. I asked her to get reception to order me a taxi, as I had to get going to the airport. Then we went up to the room to get our stuff. Our room keys didn't work and we had to get reception to send up a maid to let us in. We got our bags, handed in the keys and were told there were no additional charges. We couldn't find Rally, but saw that her stuff was still in the lobby, so I asked reception to get me a taxi and was told that the lines were busy and no one was answering. I considered taking the subway, but it was a 15 minute walk back, with all my gear, and three subway lines to get there. Then reception told me I had a phone call. It was Rally and she was out on the main street, about two blocks away, and was having no luck getting me a taxi cab! She was refused by three cabs. But she had found me a private car with a Chinese man who spoke no English but was willing to take me to the airport for 150 yuan ($25) and wanted to know if I agreed to that. I quickly considered my options and said, yes please. So, she brought him into the hotel parking lot and told me the agreement. I gave her a big hug, said my goodbyes to Paul, and got in, and away we went. After I got comfortable, it crossed my mind that I was in a car with a guy I couldn't talk to, my luggage was locked in his trunk and I really didn't really know where I was going. I just had to trust him and the fact that Rally had set it up. I watched the highway signs and was pleased to see that we were indeed headed to the airport. It took us about 40 minutes to get there, but I arrived on time for an easy check in, and a two hour wait for the flight. I wandered around and looked at shops and spent the last of my yuan on an instruction book and set of Chinese chess, a bag of dark chocolate M&M peanuts and a bottle of Minute Maid orange juice.

As I was walking around the finality of things struck me. I've know for a long time that I was heading home, but I don't think the reality of that really hit home. I'd talked to people about it and the group asked me about what I missed, what I was going to do when I got home, etc. and I talked about people back home, the cottage, the bike and work, but it all seemed a long way off. Although I will be happy to see family and friends, I have very mixed emotions about going home. I have looked forward to this trip for so long, spent so much time dreaming and planning it, and then I have lived the dream for 12 months. It has been an incredible ride. It has been everything I had hoped for and more. I have done so many things, seen so many countries, learned so much, met so many great people – fellow travelers and native people and have lived the life of Riley for so long, I can't believe it has come to an end. Wandering around the airport I was lost in thought. It's the end of a dream that I made a reality. Given the time and resources, I would gladly continue for another 12 months. It was a really bitter/ sweet time. Then we boarded the plane, took off and I left China and began the last leg of my journey.

I am typing this on the plane, and just had dinner. As I was eating I watched the simulation of our flight route, and it turns out I don't fly over the Pacific at all! I am flying over Mongolia, Russia and the Arctic before entering Canada from the north.

The flight was uneventful although the landing was a bit weird. We tried to land, wheels down and everything, and then it pulled up again. The pilot came on and said that the previous plane had hit a bunch of birds and then were cleaning it up, so we had to circle the city for ten minutes. We flew right over my house, so I knew it was still standing, which was good.

Carol and my mom picked me up at the airport and took me home where I saw Danny for a few minutes, before we drove over to my parents to see my brother and sister who had just driven down from the cottage and had stopped in to see my Dad and his new knee. Good to see everyone and we had a couple of drinks and a good talk.

An exciting day from start to finish and as usual I fit in as much as possible. It's been a hell of a ride!

So, I am home, and Nomadic Joe is no longer on the road. Sad but true. However, please stay tuned, I will have a couple of summary posts to put up in the next couple of days.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome Home Joe

    its been a hell of a ride

    Thank you for posting your wonderful blog and amazing pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am sad for the end of your journey as I have been following it for so long. I have a "taste" of so many places I have never been to. Guess you won't miss the weather at least given the conditions we've had since you have arrived home. In fact, I wonder, did you bring the humid heat home with you?
    see you around the street neighbour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome home Joe!! Glad you made it home safely!!
    I got a little teary eyed reading your post when you were gathering your thoughts at the airport! I can imagine!! But congratulations!! YOu made it!! It's alllll good!! :)

    ReplyDelete