Thursday, May 12, 2011

Thailand Day 7 Chao Phraya River Cruise










Thursday May 12th




I got off to a slow start this morning. After the hectic touring this week, I decided to relax for awhile and caught up on some e-mails. After a leisurely breakfast I took the Sky Train to the station by the river to catch a ferry ride along the Chao Phraya River that runs right through Bangkok. The river has always been an important artery through the city and into the country. It is a wide river that is used by a large number of boats. There are huge barges, up to four in a line, being towed by a tugboat, plus ferry boats, fishing boats, longtail speedboats and there were military boats tied up at shore. I took a ferry, like the one in the bottom photo, paid the equivalent of 50 cents and sailed down the river for about an hour. We passed new highrises, old houses on stilts, temples, the Grand Palace, and lots of factories and sailed under numerous bridges, including the one in the photo. When I got to the end, everyone was kicked off, so I went for a half hour walk in that neighbourhood, nothing special just small shops and the every present street food vendors. I did however, buy some delicious peanut brittle/sesame snaps. Then I bought another ticket and made the return trip. All in all a nice way to spend a few hours.



When I got back to the hotel I decided to mail some things home that I am tired of carrying around. So I found out where the post office was (it was within walking distance) and wandered over. It was the most efficient one I had been in yet this year. I bought a box, loaded it, they taped it up and posted it, all within fifteen minutes.



Then I walked over to the travel agent to see if my passport was back, and it was, complete with Vietnam and CHINA visas! So, now I know how and when the trip ends. I will take a three week tour through China, starting in Hong Kong and ending in Beijing from June 27th to July 18th. Probably the last major place I will visit will the Great Wall of China, how cool it that?!



While I was there I had Wii, recommend and book a hotel for me on the island of Koh Samui. So, I now have the remainder of my trip planned and booked:



4 days in Phuket



4 days on Koh Samui



1 week in Bali



1 month in Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia



2 days in Hong Kong



3 weeks in China



and then fly home from Beijing, completing the round the world trip.


Back to the hotel for dinner, e-mailing and blogging time.

1 comment:

  1. I can't imagine lugging around my Easter Island head this long. Thank
    goodness you have finally mailed it home. Thanks Joe.

    ReplyDelete