Friday, May 13, 2011

Thailand Day 8 Bangkok to Phuket










Friday May 13th

Hey, today is Friday the 13th! I should be in Port Dover drinking beer with Paul and watching the bike and leather fashion show!




I spent this morning packing and getting organized to leave Bangkok. Threw out some papers I don't need anymore, including the GAP catalogue. Then I went for a walk around the neighbourhood again before coming back and ordering a cab for the airport.



My flight to Phuket was at 1:55, so I headed to the airport about 11:30. The flight was easy and only just over an hour. When I arrived I caught a cab for the hour long ride to my hotel at the south end of the island (the airport is at the north end). Phuket is actually an island connected to the mainland by a bridge. The hotel is the Alpina Phuket Nalina Resort. I have a very nice room on the top floor (4th) overlooking the pool.



There is a shuttle that takes you to the beach (about a 10 minute walk) every hour on the hour, and since it was 4:55, I hustled back down to the lobby to catch it. The beach is beautiful, crescent shaped with green lush hills at either end, and an island out front. I went for a swim, or rather a jump, as the water is rough and you have to jump into the waves. The water is warm and not too salty. I went for a walk the entire length of the beach and met a few people. I spent a bit of time talking to a Svetlana from Siberia! Watched the sunset over the island and then began to make my own way back to the hotel as the 5:00 shuttle was the last for the day. I had to stop and ask directions a couple of times, but eventually found my way back. Had a shower to get rid of the salt and then went to the lobby to use the wi-fi and have dinner. There is no one here. The restaurant and the bar were empty, so I went back to town and had a so so dinner at an almost empty restaurant there. Back to the hotel for typing, reading and sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment