Thursday, May 19, 2011

Thailand Day 14 Lamai Beach & Scooter Ride










Thursday May 19th





Today I slept in and had breakfast about 10. Then I jumped on my trusty scooter and decided to go to see the 'big' Buddha. As you can see it is very big! After that I drove around the island one more time, this time in a clockwise direction. It feels a bit like riding around Bermuda when riding here. It is on the left side of the road and the scenery is beautiful and the weather is perfect, hot and sunny. The island is about 50 kilometres around on the road, but there are lots of other roads to explore too.



The first place I stopped was at Lamai Beach, where I'd spent some time yesterday. As I said the weather was great, so I went straight into the water to cool off, and then walked the beach, back into the water again, etc, as I walked the whole length of the two kilometre beach. I really enjoyed that. Just before I left I went in the water again with my shirt on too, so that I was totally wet for the ride – great way to stay cool!



Then I continued my ride around. I took one offshoot road and stumbled onto a local market and under the tents I found where some of the fish I'd seen the other day from the boats, winds up. It was interesting watching this woman butchering the fish and shooing away flies at the same time.



The rest of the ride was great. I just looked around and enjoyed the ride. Then I ran into a rain storm and got pretty wet, but it only lasted about ten minutes before I rode out of it again. Then about fifteen minutes from the hotel, I went around a corner and I could feel the bike slipping and the back wheel sliding. I couldn't figure that out for a moment until I realized the back tire had gone flat!. I found a place to fill it with air again. Rode back to the hotel and decided to walk our beach, Chewang Beach. Did that for about a half hour and returned to the bike, and found the tire flat again. Returned it to the shop and they charged me $5 to fix it. Oh well.



To end the day I had another romantic dinner for one on the beach at the hotel. It was perfect, good food, full moon, and the lapping of the water. Couldn't be better. Finally back to the room to get organized for tomorrow and to write the blog for the last two days.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joe!
    I forgot how magnificent the beaches are in Thailand, probably the best in the world. But they sure look empty, not busy at all! (maybe that's why they are so nice!)
    That rocky beach in the third picture, what a spot! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete