Saturday, May 28, 2011

Indochina Day 1, Island Hopping








Saturday May 28th

Today was a full travel day: walking, boat, shuttle van, airplane, airplane, and taxi, from 8:00am to 8:30PM.


Up early and had breakfast. I then walked back to the beach area where the shuttle boats were. Took the boat back to Lombok with about twenty other tourists and no locals this time. At the Lombok harbour I bought a new pair of sunglasses and then walked about 500 metres to catch the shuttle van to Senggigi Beach and the Graha Hotel where I had left my big bag, and then continue onto the airport. The drive along the Lombok coast was beautiful. At one point I asked if we could stop to take a photo (the one of the beach) and while taking the photo the lens popped out of my new sunglasses! Picked it up and discovered the frame was broken. Shortly after on the van I examined them again and found the other piece of frame was also broken. So, they lasted about a half hour! That's six pairs of sunglasses so far for anyone who is counting.


The airport at Mataram was lots of fun. There were two flights from the company I was flying with (Lions Air) on the board, mine at 12:35 and another at 1:30, which was already marked as Delayed. When 12:35 came and went and no one said anything or made any announcement, I started talking to other people. Someone said the flight was delayed. I was worried because I had a connecting flight to catch. I talked to a young American couple who had two more connecting flights to make on their way home. I asked them to watch my stuff and went out to talk to the company's reps at checkin. They didn't have much to say and just smiled. I got a bit upset and told them that they can't just let people sit there and not tell them why their flight was delayed and when it might go. I told them I had a flight to catch and they wanted to see my ticket. I told them it was in the bag I had checked. So, they went back and got it (it hadn't gone anywhere). So, the agent said she would move me to another flight that was leaving earlier and I should be okay. She moved me to the flight that was delayed at 1:30. This didn't make sense to me, or you either probably, so I asked how the flight after mine and was already marked as delayed would leave before mine. Then I found out that the 1:30 one had been delayed since 10am and was supposed to leave before my flight. I hope that is clear. Anyway, they also said that they'd put my luggage on with the crew (presumably with the weapons too – see the photo) so that I could get it as soon as we landed and not have to go to the carousel. I was happy and told her about the American couple. She did the same for them but I don't think they'd catch their flight though as it was earlier than mine.


The flight did come and leave by 3pm for the 40 minute flight. Landed, got my bag from the crew on the taramac and raced from the domestic area to the international area at the other end of the airport. There was no on at the Thai Airlines check in and only one lady checking in. Checked in and had to go through customs and all that before I got up to the gate and found the flight already boarding. So, I made it and really no harm done except for stress, because instead of waiting at two airports for an hour and a half each, I waited at the first one for three hours and none at the second one.


The flight was good, dinner decent and I arrived back in Bangkok by 7:40. Finished reading the book Marching Powder, which I had heard of since South America. Good book, and is apparently true, but parts are hard to believe and also hard to feel sorry for him, as he is a drug dealer afterall. Caught a cab to the hotel and am sitting in my room typing this and waiting to meet the new GAP group who have gone out for dinner. I knew I was going to miss the organization meeting and the introductory dinner, but thought an extra day in Indonesia was worth it.


I got a note from the new guide with some forms to fill out. After doing that I went down to the lobby and met him. His name is Richard. He is probably fifty and from Australia. Seems like a really decent guy, so should be a good tour. Now I'm heading to bed to catch up on some sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Phew !!!

    stressful indeed ..but Joe , you are an amazing traveler and you seem to always come out on top
    Good on ya
    Well looking forward to Indochina Joe. Yet another amazing area of the world

    ReplyDelete