Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Thailand Day 6 Floating Market and Crocodile Farm














Tuesday May 11th



Another early morning start. I was picked up first at 6:45, and after we had gathered all the others we drove for two and half hours out of Bangkok to the Floating Market. This is in a village which uses a couple of canals as transport waterways. The market functions as a shopping market for locals but is also quite touristy, selling souvenir t-shirts and knick knacks. They also sell tickets for a paddle ride in a canoe through it and there are two guys there who will wrap a Burmese python around your neck, let you take a photo and charge you for it. That kind of stuff. However, it was very picturesque and I bought some fruit that was yummy. I bought a mango, some lichee nuts, and some jack-fruit, which I'd never had before and it was quite good. Jack-fruit is huge. I took photos of them somewhere in Africa and in Brazil, and if one ever fell out of a tree and hit you on the head, it'd kill you. The man then gave me another fruit to try, that I'd never seen before. It was very good, kind of lichee like, but I have no idea of the name.





I wandered around the market for a couple of hours before we were driven another hour (back towards Bangkok) for our lunch stop. Lunch was at a floating restaurant on a river and was very good. Then we went to a couple of very touristy attractions. We went to Samphram Elephant Ground and Crocodile Farm. There we saw a magic show that was actually quite good, although all the standard tricks. After that there was an elephant show, which included some tricks, and elephant soccer and then they reenacted a battle between the Siamese and Burmese, with the kings battling from elephant back. It was complete with beautiful military uniforms for the kings and the elephants, cannon shots, smoke and foot soldiers. The last show was at the crocodile farm. Here two young men tormented crocs, and did some tricks, like putting their hands, arms and heads in the crocs mouth.





Then we left and went to the Rose Garden, where we watched a Thai cultural show, that featured, some Thai dancing with burning candles, dancing through bamboo poles that were being moved in a rhythmic motion by men on the floor, a demonstration of kick boxing and some sword fighting martial arts and finally a Thai wedding. The costumes and music were quite good and entertaining. After that there was another short elephant show and then we were off for our hotels.





Unfortunately I was dropped off last again, and with the traffic in this city, it sometimes takes two hours to get to the hotel after reaching the city and dropping off the others at their hotels. When I did get dropped off it was pouring rain and I got quite wet. So I went up to my room, put on my swim suit and went for a swim in the pouring rain and the dark. I needed that. Then an evening checking out hotels in Bali and blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment