Friday, April 8, 2011

Tombs and Lodi Gardens







Friday April 8th

After a bit of a lazy start I decided to take a tuk tuk to Humayun's Tomb. I asked how much for the ride, he told me 200, we knocked it down to 130 and away went. Well, he had to stop three times to ask other drivers or people on the sidewalk for directions. Makes you wonder how he came up with the price in the first place.

When I got there I learned this: Humayun was a Moghul Emperor who lived from 1565-72. His widow built the tomb after his death. The tomb is a precursor to the Taj Mahal and is one of the earliest examples of Persian influence in Indian architecture. It was the first to use red sandstone and white marble in this way. It contains Humayun's tomb, as well as those of 100 other Moghuls. It has been used for other things over the years and has been allowed to fall into disrepair. It is another World Heritage Site that is being refurbished.

I wandered around there for awhile before going for a long walk along to Lodi Gardens. This is a large park that contains gardens, an artificial lake, fountains and four large tombs from the Moghul era. They are all shells of their former glory. The outsides are becoming shabby and the insides are stripped of their beauty. The park was full of young Indian couples cuddling.

At this point I was tired, and decided to go back to the hotel early and do some computer things. This time I had a competent tuk tuk driver who set a fair price and actually knew where he was going.

Got back to the hotel and met with Philip to make sure things are set for him to pick up my passport. Then I had another great dinner and a quiet evening reading and blogging.

5 comments:

  1. Those three cows must work for the city. Two of them stand around while the third one pretends to be working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess: Spawn of PeterApril 9, 2011 at 8:15 PM

    Your time in Arabia must have really rubbed off. You haggle with the tuk tuk drivers like an old arab trader. I suggest taking the money you have saved and investing in a camel train.

    Your trip looks absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a little confused about the life of Humayun. 1565-72? Would that
    not mean he only lived 7 years? And was married in that short little
    life and became an Emperor?? Wow, I haven't done any of that and I'm 55.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megans paying attention!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indian Historian and Tuk Tuk DriverApril 11, 2011 at 9:12 PM

    Moghul emperors did not always have the easiest reigns of power. Some such as this fine chap ruled twice for short periods of time. Rebellions and attacking armies were always a threat. So yes Megan while it is very thought provoking to think of a seven year old being the Emperor that is not the case here I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete