Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Nepal Adventure Day 1 Delhi to Kathmandu







Sunday April 24th

Just before bed last night I was in bed reading the itinerary for this trip and checking a few things. I read the flight date and time, April 24th 12:50 pm and then the start place and date, Hotel Tibet and April 24th. Then I went and plug in my iTouch and saw the date: 24th. All of a sudden I panicked – it was the end of the day! The 24th was over and I missed my flight and the start of the tour!! I was so worried about it, I phoned my faithful side kick and silent (well sort of) partner, Denise at home. But she wasn't there. I left her a message about the situation and then tried to figure out what to do. I knew I had a taxi coming at 9:00 to take me to the airport to catch a flight I'd missed. I was so upset, I realized I probably wouldn't get any sleep. Then it dawned on me... it was after midnight the date had changed to the 24th!! Duh! I felt very stupid, but hugely relieved. So, all systems are go.

I slept reasonably well, but not long enough. Got up early, got organized, caught the cab and headed to the airport. Got there really early because it was Sunday and surprisingly there was very little traffic. Then my flight was delayed an hour because it arrived from Kathmandu late because of poor visibility there. The flight was an hour and half and they served a snack. Who knew you could fly from Delhi to Kathmandu and watch four episodes of Two and Half Men during the hour and half flight!! I had many a good laugh. Just before we landed, we flew over some low mountains and I was surprised to see farms and homes, and even small villages on the mountain tops! My first thought was where do they go get groceries?!

I was picked up by my GAP guide, Anil, and driven to the Hotel Tibet with an hour to spare before the introduction meeting. First impressions, based on the ride from the airport: tons of motorcycles, traffic calmer, air seems dirty, less traditional dress – many women in western style clothes.

Again I have lucked into a private room. My new group is two men and seven women. The other guy is with his girlfriend, so I have my own room. We are two from Portugal, two from South Africa, one from each of England, Wales and Scotland, one from Japan and me from Canada.

We went for an orientation walk and dinner. The group seems nice, as does the guide. The food was good. Then we walked back to the hotel and I phoned home to wish everyone a Happy Easter. Another adventure begins.

4 comments:

  1. Yes it is very odd how the date changes after midnight.

    Your blonde roots are showing Buddy.

    Enjoy the swinging town of Kathmandu and your trek through Nepal.

    Peter Toni and Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joe,
    So you made it to Nepal on the right day! Just a momentary lapse of reason! Funny thing is(as I vaguely recall) brain cramps are way more likely to happen while you are in Nepal, not before you get there! Must be the altitude!!!

    Enjoy the mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate "bad Calendar" days too!

    ReplyDelete